Saturday, September 25, 2010

AMP is about more than your coursework

Don't get me wrong, AMP is mostly about your coursework. The amount of material you will cover is incredible in breadth and applicability.

But there is another element that should not be ignored with AMP and that is making the alumni connections that you will draw upon for the rest of your life.

Try to make it a point to get to know each and every member of your cohort. The level of talent in the program is nothing short of incredible and the diversity of skill sets will floor you.

Today we had a speaker that is a graduate of the AMP program and is great success story. He has started his own business and is receiving funding from DARPA. DARPA, guys.

One of the many things that I picked up from the optional lunch session (Attend every session you can, get to know every speaker that is approachable) is to surround yourself with talented people. In my short 10 yr career, I can tell you that my most productive period of my life was when I surrounded with a small, elite and talented team.  Mr. Pak is no exception. Through personal contacts and through his alumni network he was able to venture out on his own, overcome and be successful.  It's a great story, a familiar refrain and excellent reinforcement.

Also, great run Friday night and then some quality time with the cohort. It was one of those rare, magical fridays where the homework as squared away. Looking at the schedule, that won't happen again for a while I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment