Sunday, January 16, 2011

stats tips learned the hard way

I've said previously I prefer R's implementation on windows over mac. I've learned a few workarounds and have an update.

As noted previously, I go to class with a Mac. It's new as of this year and has an I5, so it has great horsepower.

Prof Brown's in class assignments have a time element to them. If  you are on Mac and you try to copy and paste in your graphic, your image will be rendered in PDF and you will hate your life.  Your machine will be come non-responsive. This happened to me the first week and I wanted to - redacted, essentially become very aggressive with the hardware.

Learn to love the jpeg(file ="yourfilenname.jpeg") along with this trick

http://www.labnol.org/software/insert-images-in-word-documents/8144/

Essentially, as you are building your reports for homework,  you can write your graphics out to a folder on your box. Then you add with insert and link to your word docs. This will keep your graphics in sink as your models change.

Before you submit, you "prepare" the doc as above in the link. Then you will want to save to PDF.

Hope that helps.
--jzf

1 comment:

  1. The only comment I would have is that png is a superior format choice to jpeg in this instance - png preserves the detail in our small color palette but dense diagrams, and allows for transparency (if you're into that kind of thing).

    Same syntax: png(...) - ?png within R for man page.

    ReplyDelete