Monday, January 3, 2011

Stats, Sim Update

Quick hits -
Did my sim exam weeks ago. The exam is 40% of my grade, but I am trying to be complacent with my effort to date. Being a software guy, I have some advantage to those that aren't in that the class is largely based on the R development environment.

As a .Net guy, I am automatically skeptical of open source languages. R has proven to be refreshingly well done.

I've had to go back and read/re-read my stats book. Looking back, I missed more than I am comfortable with as far as stats terminology. Also, the final exam constitutes 40% of my final grade and with my "emerging to standard" in class homework grade, I need to do well on my final.

The biggest piece of advice I can offer for stats is to read the book and be very comfortable with the day's concepts ahead of time, because you will be "tested" on them with "in class homework" which is essentially a quiz.  But as far as I can tell, I have some company with so-so in homework grades, not that this is much consolation. I'm trying to look beyond grades and worry more about learning the material, but it'd be good to have good grades as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment