Tuesday, November 23, 2010

PC or MAC

short answer - PC

long answer - I bought a macbook pro for alterior motives. I wanted to get on the platform so that I could have something to dev I phone apps on. As a technologist, I recognize this an emerging part of the market. It's part of my job to be on top of these like this. Plus, as a guy that spends a lot of time on the computer, the hardware is first class.

As a student, though, going Mac has not been without its disadvantages. R behaves differently. You will need a special cord for the break out rooms to use the projector. Office works differently. Perhaps most maddeningly is office 2008 didn't handle formula symbols very well, which meant I had to use PC.


If you are looking to optimize your capability as a student, I say go PC. You won't need an amazing machine, only something you are comfortable with . Any CPU from the last 5 years will suffice.

My $.02

1 comment:

  1. to add on - We have to install software, solver, that we have been asked to install on PC only, and to use fusion if we are on mac.

    ReplyDelete